CRF, headquartered in Orbassano (Turin) with other branch sites in Italy, was established in 1978. The main centre for research activities of FCA (Fiat Chrysler Automobiles), CRF has the mission to:
- develop and transfer innovative powertrains, vehicle systems and features, materials, processes and methodologies together with innovation expertise in order to improve the competitiveness of FCA products;
- represent FCA in European collaborative research programs, joining pre-competitive projects and promoting networking actions;
- support FCA in the protection and enhancement of intellectual property.
Also through the cooperation with a pan-European and increasingly global network from industry and academia, CRF conducts collaborative research initiatives at the national and international levels in partnership with all the key public and private stakeholders concerned with sustainable mobility, targeting specifically the industrial exploitation of research.
CRF develops research and innovation along the three principal axes of sustainability:
- Environmental Sustainability, which encompasses all aspects relating to energy efficiency as well as to the reduction of the impact on the environment over the entire lifecycle of the vehicle
- Social Sustainability, focusing on the safety of transportation systems through the development of active, passive, preventive and cooperative solutions while addressing the mobility of all users irrespective of their specific needs
- Economically sustainable competitiveness, oriented towards viable innovation, i.e., improving the performance and functionality of new vehicles in a cost-effective manner while reducing the time-to-market of research results.
Main tasks of CRF in the CEVOLVER project:
- define, from the OEM perspective, the requirements and specifications for the vehicle and service clouds architecture and the related bidirectional communication taking into account the transferred data security and user privacy
- upgrade and commission the selected EV demonstrator vehicles in order to explore the identified user centric cloud based functionalities (predictive ecodriving, extended ecorouting, energy and thermal optimised management) with the aim to make EVs effectively usable also in long extra-urban missions (lot of hundreds of km)
- Contribute to the tuning and test phase of the demonstrators for the evaluation of the CEVOLVER solutions impact
Visit the Website
“CEVOLVER is a great opportunity to investigate and verify in practice how the cloud based improved functionalities developed in the Project can contribute to make the EV experience more in line with the end user expectations and pave the way towards an effective usage of electric urban vehicles also for occasional long range extra urban and highway trips”